The Building and Buying Process
There are two major phases to building a home: pre-building and construction.
Understanding the Pre-building Process
There are four primary steps in the pre-building process. Each step builds on the previous one so, when completed, you have a clear understanding of each element of your new home before the first brick is lain.
- Requirements – the requirements step entails meeting with Homes by Chris to discuss your needs, priorities, budget, and timeline. It also provides an opportunity for us to get to know each other. We are starting a relationship to create your home and want to ensure we will be able to enjoy the process together.
- Design – the design step entails measuring your space, creating the layout, making selections, presenting drawings, and making revisions. The design details are agreed upon, and the primary elements of your new home are now set.
- Contract – now that the design elements have been decided, it is time to generate the contract. We try to make this as painless as possible, and we recognize this step is required to ensure everyone’s interests and understandings are met.
- Pre-construction Meeting – one last meeting to review all of the details, including the schedule of the build job. Then it’s time to start building your home!
Understanding the Construction Process
There are many steps involved in the construction process. From the original survey to the final warranty, we attempt to keep you informed and at ease with the process. Our Pre-Construction Meeting will outline your specific building process, however, we have provided a generic view to a typical building process here:
- Survey – determine property lines and placement of the house
- Excavation – ground breaking for the foundation
- Foundation – pouring of footers and walls
- Interior designer – making selections on colors, flooring, cabinets, tile, millwork
- Framing – the frame of the house with windows and roof
- Mechanical rough-in – plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and insulation are installed
- Drywall – house is dry walled
- Cabinets and trim – custom cabinets and trim are put into the house
- Interior paint –stain, paint, and faux-finishing of interior trim and walls
- Flatwork – Driveway, patio, and any concrete work are poured
- Exterior paint, tile and masonry – tile put into the kitchen and bathrooms, along with exterior touches
- Finish electrical, plumbing, heating and cooling – light fixtures, toilets, and sinks are installed, as well as setting heat pump and vent covers
- Flooring – the hardwood floors are sanded and stained. Carpet is installed in the house
- Final details – the house is cleaned and ready for final inspection
- Completion – the house is ready for the buyer!
- Warranty – after the sale of the house, Homes by Chris implements a one-year new home warranty.
Green Building Starts Here
Building “Green” is a priority for us. Read more about our thoughts and processes on our Building Green page.
Frequently Asked Questions
Click on the question to view the answer.
Q. Can we use a material supplier that is not on your “approved” vendor list?
Q. How do I know how much house I can afford?
A. The price of a home can vary dramatically depending on style, topography, and location. Our goal is to identify what is important to you and provide a detailed budget up front so you will have the information you need to make your decisions.
Q. How do your prices compare to other builders?
A. We’re very competitive in our pricing, especially when compared to other quality builders. Most of our clients are amazed at the level of finish-out we deliver for the money. And our process and quality controls are unmatched. However, if you’re looking for the low bidder regardless of quality, we prefer not to be on your bid list. Some of the work we see today makes us cringe and we won’t compromise on quality.
Q. When should I contact Homes by Chris to begin the planning process?
A. As soon as you know that you are going to build a custom home, preferably right around the time you place the contract on the land. We will walk you step-by-step through the process of designing and building a home starting with our requirements meeting.
Q. Where do you build? Is my lot located in your building area?
Homes by Chris builds in the Northland of the Kansas City area. This includes Liberty, Kansas City, Missouri, Platte City, Parkville, Smithville, Kearney, Excelsior Springs, North Kansas City, Gladstone, and country estates in the Northland. Contact us to determine if we build in your area.